Charles Eaton Spurling

b. 9 Jul 1850
d. 28 Jan 1925

Background

Charles E. Spurling was the son of Joseph Stanley Spurling & Matilda T. (Young) Spurling.
Barbara Brooks, his granddaughter, thinks the E. might stand for Eliott.
Professor Wm. O. Sawtelle states his middle name as Eaton, and offers a tribute to his memory.
He was the husband of Emma F. Bulger.
They had a son, Charles Samuel Spurling., who died before his parents.
Charles E. was the manager of the Clifton Dock in Northeast Harbor for a time.
They lived in what is now the Brooks house.
He started a store next door to his house.  His son worked in the store for a time.
Buried in the Spurling Cemetery.

click to enlarge

photo courtesy of Barbara Brooks

Clifton Dock

photo courtesy of Barbara Brooks

Emma Frances (Bulger) Spurling

b. 1860
d. 22 Feb 1934

Background

Emma Frances was the daughter of Samuel N. & Mary (Stanley) Bulger.
She was the wife of Charles E. Spurling.
They lived in what is now the Brooks house.
They had a son, Charles Samuel Spurling.
Buried in the Spurling Cemetery.


photo courtesy of Barbara Brooks

The Spurling House

The house of Charles Eliot and Charles Samuel Spurling, in the earliest photos, has no porch and only a single dormer.  The two early photos differ only in the height of the bush in front of the wing on the right.

The porch was apparently added in 1911 or before, as it is visible in a photo of Charles S. Spurling, who died in that year.  The dormer, however, is still single in that photo.  The 1998 photo shows the new double-dormer.  Also, it appears from the absence of a chimney on the left wing, that a fireplace might have been removed.

earliest photo

photo courtesy of Barbara Brooks

later

photo courtesy of Barbara Brooks

1998

photo courtesy of Bruce Komusin

The Spurling Store

ca. 1900-1909

Background

The Spurling Store was in the house at the top of the hill, as you walk straight up the Main Road from the Town Dock.  To this day, that house is still called "The Store," even though it's been a private residence for years and years.

The store was started and run by Charles Eliot Spurling, who lived in the house right next to the store.  His son, Charles Samuel Spurling also ran the store, in his turn.  However, he died young.

They sold dry goods, flour, groceries, provisions, ship supplies, paints, oils, etc.

Interior
Chas. S. Spurling
photo courtesy of Barbara Brooks

Receipt 190...

receipt courtesy of Barbara Brooks

Receiving supplies.  Charles E.'s ship, Prottier, is just beyond the right edge of the photo.  Goods were lowered to a rowboat and taken ashore on Spurling Point, then hauled a short distance up the hill to the store.  Apparently, they didn't unload at the Town Dock.  Charles E. Spurling's son, Charles Samuel Spurling, wearing a white hat, is behind "Kit", the delivery horse.

Hauling supplies

photo courtesy of Barbara Brooks

Loading the delivery wagon.  Chas. S. Spurling, in his favorite white hat, loads supplies onto the delivery wagon.  Only the front porch of the store is visible on the left.  The Spurling house, next door to the store, is in the center background.  The garage on the right belongs to another house cut off on the far right.  The barn on the left with a half-open door, seen behind the store's porch, is no longer there.  Note that the Main Road is unpaved.

Loading supplies

photo courtesy of Barbara Brooks

Another photo of Kit and Charles Samuel Spurling, the father of Barbara Brooks.  He died of pneumonia one month before she was born.

Kit & Chas. S.

photo courtesy of Barbara Brooks

Index
Return home___