Captain Lewis Gilman "Lew" Stanley

b. 16 May 1869
d. 29 Jan 1957

Background

Capt. Lewis G. Stanley was the son of Enoch B. (Sr.) and Caroline H. (Guptill) Stanley.  "Carrie" Richardson was his sister.
He was the husband of Leah Jeanette (Sawyer) Stanley.
His house was on The Pool, and he had a large boathouse that blew down in the storm of 1978.
Buried in the Stanley Cemetery.

Obituary

Lewis G. Stanley, 87, died January 29 at an Ellsworth nursing home after a short illness.  He was born on Cranberry Island May 16, 1869, the son of Enoch and Caroline (Guptill) Stanley.  Mr. Stanley was a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge at Southwest harbor.  He is survived by a son, Boynton Stanley of Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., and two grandchildren.  Funeral services were held Friday afternoon at the Congregational Church, Cranberry Island, the Rev. Charles Cumming officiating.  Burial was in the Stanley Cemetery.  Bearers were Rodger and Ralph Stanley, Neil and Filmore Peterson.
(newspaper clipping, hand-dated 1957)
Obituary donated by Omer & Annette Mountain


courtesy of Priscilla Richardson


courtesy of Priscilla Richardson

Lew with Caryll Beal (dau. of Clarence Beal)
courtesy of Stan Seimer

His captain's license, 1922


 

Leah Jeanette (Sawyer) Stanley

b. 15 Apr 1874
d. 10 Sep 1944

Background

Leah Jeanette was the daughter of Lewis W. Sawyer & ???.
She was the wife of Lewis G. Stanley.
Buried in the Stanley Cemetery.

 

photo courtesy of Priscilla Richardson

The Stanley House and Boathouses
by The Pool

Background

Lewis and Leah Stanley lived in a house by The Pool, sharing it at first with Lew's parents, and also with Lew's sister "Carrie" Richardson and her husband, Meltiah J. Richardson.

The first photo shows a sort of platform in the immediate foreground, apparently for storing lobster traps, fishing gear, etc.  Behind that can be seen two large boathouses, two small sheds, and two docks.  The foremost, shorter dock is hard to make out, being directly in front of the longer one.  The Stanley house is not visible since it is inshore, to the left.

In the second photo (1968) the platform and one of the smaller sheds is gone. The foremost, shorter dock has fallen into disrepair. "View from the footbridge" is written on the back of this photo.

The third photo (1968) shows the large boathouse, which blew down in a storm in 1978.

The small boathouse (tallest structure in the first two photos) was lifted and reset on a new cement foundation in the latter part of the 1990s.  It is now an artist's studio, still at the edge of The Pool.  The fate of the two smaller sheds is unknown.

Capt. Lew Stanley's boathouses

photo courtesy of Priscilla Richardson

"View from the footbridge"
in 1968

photo courtesy of Priscilla Richardson

Large boathouse flattened by storm in 1978

photo courtesy of Priscilla Richardson

Boathouses from The Pool 1940s
pano view

photo courtesy of Dot Towns

Index
Return home___