U.S. Life Saving Station on Islesford
BackgroundThe lifesaving crew shown in the photo is unknown, although one of them (the highest one sitting on the steps) might be William Young.
The station is currently a private residence.
Following is copied from Official Coast Guard Page
U.S. Coast Guard Station
Cranberry Island, Maine
Gilbert T. Hadlock first appointed on AUG 27, 1879 and resigned in AUG 31, 1887.
Franklin Stanley appointed in SEPT 28, 1887 and resigned in OCT 19, 1909.
Henry E. Stanley appointed in OCT 2, 1909, still serving as of 1915
Cranberry Isles/Cranberry Island (#5) This station was authorized as a lifesaving station by the act of June 18, 1878. Property for the station was a gift of Messrs. W. E. and G. Hadlock. A station was built on the site described as "southeast point Little Cranberry Island, off Mount Desert Island" in 1879-1880. Until June 1, 1883, it was called the Little Cranberry Island station in the records. Its name was then changed to Cranberry Isles. The name was changed from Cranberry Isles to Cranberry Island on July 1, 1902. The station was repaired and improved in 1889. The first appointed keeper was Gilbert T. Hadlock (August 27, 1879 until his resignation August 31, 1887). Next came Franklin Stanley (September 28, 1887 until his resignation on October 19, 1909), Henry E. Stanley, (October 2, 91909 until his resignation September 30, 1919) and Wallace I. Brown (acting, never appointed). No keeper is listed until 1927 when Chief Petty Officer P. F. Myers is listed; he served until reassigned to the Hampton Beach station in 1929. He is followed by Chief Boatswains Mates E. A. Gamage (1930, to Damiscove Island in 1931), J. H. Carver, Jr. (1931), C. A. Brant (1932), W. E. Holmes (1933), and F. H. Harmon (1935). The station was permanently relocated and consolidated with the Southwest Harbor Depot in 1946; the name disappeared from the listings in April 1947
Added: December 2000
Updated: August 2001
Above is copied from Official Coast Guard Page