Cranberry Isles Mutual Improvement and Benevolent Societyalso known as the
Cranberry Isles Benevolent Sewing Circle
1861 - 1899
BackgroundForerunner of the Ladies Aid, this group of women first met March 19, 1861 for the purpose of raising funds to build a house of worship on Great Cranberry Island.
The Society's Constitution.
The first president was Abigail C. Preble, who was apparently president at least until 1865, as the Great Cranberry Island Historical Society has three original hand-written drafts of her addresses to the group: