The Towns Slides (1-50)

Taken by John Towns
Donated by Dorothy "Dot" Towns

Background

This collection of 149 color slides was taken by John Towns in the 1940s.  Dot Towns donated them to the Great Cranberry Island Library.

When they were shown at the Ladies Aid about twenty years ago, they made a big hit, with lots of remembrances from the audience, but they haven't seen the light of day since then.

Now with the help of a newly-acquired slide scanner, the Great Cranberry Island Historical Society is proud to make these high-quality photos available again.

Slides 1-50
Slides 51-100
Slides 101-149
click to enlarge

John & Dot Towns

courtesy of Ada Rice


1. Beal and Bunker barge, an LCI from World War II

Bass Harbor Light

Sailboat race, Northeast Harbor

Cranberry Harbor
pano

The Town Dock, early 1940s
pano

Lew Stanley's boatyard, currently Bob LaHotan's home
pano

7. Lew Stanley's boatyard

Boatyard seen from Winslow Bunker's (now Sullivan)
pano

Another view of the same boatyard
pano

Gulls and Mountains from The Pool

Florence Towns (mother of John Towns) on the Fish Point Path
closeup

Elisha Bunker's house, now Rob St. Germain's

13. Elisha Bunker at his store

Elisha Bunker's store, now part of Chalene Allen's house

Towns house before color change...

...and after color change

"Big Mo"
(Battleship Missouri) at Bar Harbor around 1947
pano

Sargent Drive, with Herb Towns' Packard

19. Southwest Harbor cannery

Road split at the entrance to Mt. Desert

Towns guest on rock at Fish Point (GCI) next to Cranberry Club dock
pano

Trudy Bancroft's German dog, who answered to German commands

Hamor Teahouse, now Murch's

(l. to r.): Paul Carver, George Porter from MA, "Pink" Stanley

closeups: Paul
George & Pink

25. "Pink" and Eliza Stanley - lived in Louise Millar's home

(l. to r.): Mrs. Bulger (Pauline Carver's mother), Paul Carver (back), Charlotte Carver Harlan, Pauline Carver

View of Acadia from original location of Whale's Rib Gift Shop, near Cranberry Cove Restaurant, now Wini Smart's home

Mountains, with some sort of fishing barges
pano

Sailboat race

Islesford dock with Bobcat owned by Wilfred Bunker

31. Islesford

Islesford

Islesford with museum
pano

Charles & Ada Rice haying

Road to Town Dock
pano

Bacon house, now Newell's

37. (l. to r.): Goldthwait (now Rome), former store, Brooks' house

Inside the Church

Inside the Church

Town Dock 1939, with Nova Scotia boat used by Alton Bunker to carry mail
pano

Fair Day around 1940
pano

Williams house, now Sonja Colby.  Note tall radio antenna tower on roof

43. Williams house, now Sonja Colby

Dr. Liebow's house
pano

George Savage house under construction

George Savage house under construction

Haydock house

Haydock house

49. Polly Storey log cabin with (l. to r.): John Towns, Herb Towns, Towns guest
closeup

Wadsworth house under construction



Slides 1-50
Slides 51-100
Slides 101-149


Index
Return home___